[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation November 12/13 2001

Here is my report for the evening of November 12 at the Casselman
site.  I spent 2 hours tEFF very early in the evening to plot some
Taurid meteors.  The sky was not as transparent as other nights due
to a humidity.  I was facing south-east for this session.

I recorded 11 meteors, of which 3 were Taurids.  The highlights were
the 35 degrees long magnitude 0 sporadic that shot near the zenith,
and also a foreshortened 2nd mag Taurid very close to its radiant.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: November 12/13 2001
BEGIN: 1:35 UT (20:35 EST)  END: 3:42 UT (22:42 EST)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation: 100m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder

OBSERVED SHOWERS: 3-letter code;    		radiant position
		NTA (North Taurids)		04h08 +21 (north of eclip)
		STA (South Taurids)		04h08 +21 (south of eclip)
		DER (Delta Eridanids)		03h36 -02
		SPO (sporadics) 		-

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT) FIELD     Teff  F	LM     SPO NTA STA DER
1:35-2:39  02h07 +23 1.00 1.00	6.25	1   1   1   0
2:39-3:42  03h11 +19 1.00 1.00  6.25    7   1   0   0
TOTALS:              2.00		8   2   1   0  = 11
The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down
as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky). One hour = 1.00 teff. The fourth column
(LM) is the average naked eye limitimg magnitude, determined by
triangle star counts. All following columns indicate the number of
meteors for each shower observed.

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER  0  +1  +2  +3  +4  +5	AVERAGE

SPO	1   0   2   1   2   2	+3.12
NTA	0   1   1   0   0   0	+1.5
STA	0   0   0   0   1   0	+4.0
-----------------------------
TOTALS: 1   1   3   1   3   2
-----------------------------
Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude
+2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are
the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball.meteors, and the average for showers.

SKY OBSCURED:
None

Dead time: 6.83 minutes (3.83 minutes for plots)

Breaks: 1:51-1:53, 2:04-2:05

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html