[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) An Introduction

Hi there everyone,

I've been watching this list for around a month now, and thought I'd
introduce myself. My name is Geoff Sims, and I'm from Sydney, Australia. I
am very interested in all aspects of Astronomy, in particular eclipses,
meteors, and sky photography. Over the past 6 months I have become very
interested in meteor shower oberving, although I have not had much luck in
observing many showers (due to weather, or just because I've been too busy!).

Anyway, the past 2 years, I have tried to watch the Leonids. However, every
year, on the 18-19th of Novemeber, Sydney has had THICK cloud and/or rain.
Without fail! I have been eagerly awaiting this Leonid storm for many
months now. I have made many (relatively short) trips from my home in
Sydney to try and find a nice, dark observing site (again with not much
luck-- the skies usually clouded over by the time I got anywhere)!

I am now extremely disappointed-- weather forcast for sydney is cloud, rain
and thunderstorms until around Tuesday, and I am prevented from travelling
anywhere because I am currently in the middle of final exams at
University... so it looks like I'm out of luck, for the third year in a
row. If for some miricle reason the weather decides to go my way, I'll
definately post my observations, seeing I am in a prime geographical
location to witness the major peak :)

Good luck to all, I'll be thinking of everyone.
--Geoff

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html