[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Need Film / Exposure Recommendation

Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Need Film / Exposure Recommendation

> In a message dated 11/15/01 9:55:50 PM Mountain Standard Time,
> chris.tarr@attdot net writes:
>
> I've always used 400ASA  Chris  But you might try 800 with the smaller
> aperture.  anything over that will probably be pretty grainy i would
think.
> I havent piggy backed, but get the star trails  let us know how you make
out.

> << Okay I am thoroughly confused.  I have seen recommendations
>  ranging from 200 - 3200 ISO film for meteor photography.
>  I am a novice at this, but want to try a few piggyback
>  photos with my SLR and Meade SCT this weekend.
>
>  28 mm at f3.5 is my widest most open setup.

    You will probably capture more meteors using a standard 50 mm lens
rather than your 28 mm wide angle.  I know that a wide angle lens seems the
way to go but the aperture of the lens is more important than the wide field
coverage.  Our 180 degree Sandia All-sky camera will only record meteors
brighter than -2.5 - -3.0 magnitude where a 35mm camera with a 50mm standard
lens will record +1.0 meteors.  Also the image scale is larger so the
recorded meteors will look nicer.  I use Tri-X 400 ASA film as a standard
for spectroscopy.

Clear skies:
Ed Majden.

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html