[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Florida has improved

It is now 115 PM local in Fort Myers, Florida.  The sky is completely clear
as the storm system has moved astwards into the Atlantic.  The only problem
we could face the next two nights is a few clouds coming across land from
the north side of the storm.  NE winds usually do that.  The Florida west
coast is more favorable under these conditions  than the east coast.  The
outlook is good enough here that I am going to try for the Leonids locally,
in Lehigh Acres east of town.  The Keys would not be as good with no land to
help dissipate clouds on NE winds.  There probably won't be enough
subsidence from incoming high pressure to squash the clouds completely.
Vertical development will be limited due to very dry air above 3000 feet.

I will be watching satpics to be ready to dodge any large stratocum groups
in case those decide to intrude.

Definitely the Florida panhandle looks great, further from Atlantic
influence.  Fewer cities, so very dark skies are readily available.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society