[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Need to Get out of OK

Hi,

I only joined the list yesterday, although I have had a life-long interest
in meteor showers.  Astronomy is my second love behind weather.  I'm a
graduate student in meteorology at the University of Oklahoma.  So I
am also planning to leave the state in search of clear skies.

OK looks likely to be clouded over entirely.  Arkansas may be nice early
in the night, but high clouds and possibly ground fog will be increasing
toward the 10 UTC Leonid peak.  The TX panhandle and eastern New Mexico,
although behind the storm system, may have problems with low level clouds.
At least the trend there will be for decreasing clouds, and Cimarron, NM,
sounds like a pretty good bet for good viewing.

I will be watching satellite trends on Saturday before deciding to head
east or west.  The meteor rate is forecast a bit higher to the east, but
it won't do any good if there are clouds.

-Patrick Burke

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html