[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Reminder about total cloud cover and reality....

Thank you, John Krempasky, very much for the reminder to let
the actual satellite photography override the computer models.

I'm not sure if the following overlap too much with the GOES
site you recommend, but anyway in case they may be useful
(I've been using these for two or three years.), here's an
aviation site with interesting imagery for determining flying
weather, including at night:

"GOES 8" -- eastern continental USA, "visible/fog":
 http://www.awc-kc.noaadot gov/awc/goes8e.html

"GOES 10" -- western continental USA, "visible/fog":
 http://www.awc-kc.noaadot gov/awc/goes9w.html

That site is for day or night.  The next one is night-time
only.  It's another one with aviation applications, including
"experimental" fog/low clouds imagery (but seems to show
cirrus as well, actually):

 http://orbit35i.nesdis.noaadot gov/arad/fpdt/fog.html

It's well subdivided into regions and has animations as
well as single images.

I hope my next message is a report of Leonids observations!

Again, clear, dark nights and safe travels to all--

Ed Cannon - ecannon@mail.utexasdot edu - Austin, Texas, USA

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html