[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Shortwave frustration

At 01:10 PM 11/16/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>        I've gone ahead and purchased a shortwave radio in case high
>rates Sunday morning require 1-minute counts.  I'm not having any
>trouble picking up WWV at night here in East GA esp. on the 10 and 15
>mhz channels.  But there's a truely annoying
>tone that develops immediately after the time signal tone.  It doesn't
>go away until exactly 45 seconds elapse, then I get a crisp, clean
>tick-tocking for five seconds before the next time increment in
>announced.  Can anyone tell me if this is some problem I'm having at my
>location or is this "normal?"

That tone is being transmitted; it's actually a standard audio frequency
reference tone and used to be used by piano and organ tuners. I'm sorry to
hear you consider it annoying, as it's one of the hallmarks of most
standard time/frequency stations.... if they stopped transmitting that
tone, I think we hams would feel the world would never be the same again

The tick, by the way, is actually digital data which can be interpreted by
a special (and very expensive) receiver called a timecode receiver.

Clear skies,
SteveH

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: