[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Shortwave frustration

BTW, CHU can be used for more than a time standard. You can also use them for
meteor detection. The frequency is low enough that you get really long bursts.

The only really usable frequency is 14670 kHz. There are several
considerations however. First, because the frequency is so low, galactic
background noise and man-made noise rather than receiver noise become the
limiting factors. (This is why 7335 and 3330 kHz are not practical.) Second,
you can only use this frequency when F-layer propagation is not present. This
limits detection to nighttime in Georgia (I think that's where you said you
are). I've used them at night because here (near Toronto, Ontario), I am far
enough away that the groundwave is not a consideration and close enough that
there is rarely any F-layer propagation. All I used was a half-wave dipole
antenna.

Of course,  WWV on 15000 kHz (or even 20000 kHz where the noise level will be
lower) can be used when there is no F-layer propagation, as well. I think WWV
is running higher power -- CHU runs 5 kW.  Georgia may be too far away though
and WWV may only be good for states closer to Colorado than you are.
(Actually, thinking about this, I know you're too far from WWV because I am
and you are about the same distance from them. But listeners closer to WWV
might be in luck.)

Phil Gebhardt
radio_meteor@ski.com.au

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html