[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio Detection

I just re-calculated the peak radio times for this weekend's Leonids. I've
calculated for Toronto, Ontario. Given the margin of error, these times can
be used as guidelines throughout North America is indicated at the end of the
message. The thing to do is listen on Saturday morning to fine tune the
times. That way you'll be ready for Sunday morning and what may be a
spectacular peak. This major peak will likely occur on the early north/south
path.

The most productive path is probably the north/south path.

Looks like the first peak on a north/south path runs from 0630-0930 UT with
the peak at 0800 UT. (Back to my earlier post, you may be able to use CHU
14670 kHz or WWV 15000 and 20000 kHz at this time for meteor detection --
depending on your location.)

There is a second north/south path opportunity from 1400-1630 UT with the
peak at 1500 UT.

A northeast/southwest path should be open from 0730-1030 UT with the peak at
0900 UT.

A northwest/southeast path should occur between 1300-1430 UT with the peak at
1330 UT.

For North American receiving sites at longitudes similar to the Canadian
Prairies (e.g. Saskatchewan), the times will shift by an hour. That is, the
peak for the early north/south path will be at 0900 UT. For the southeastern
U.S., times will be the same as Toronto.

Phil Gebhardt
radio_meteor@ski.com.au
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html