[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) amatuer observations

Just returned from a 61/2 hour venture out and was amazed at what we saw.  Not only was the planets nice this evening, but between me and my partner I was with, we counted 85 meteors.  Most was in the same general section of sky around the planets Saturn and Jupiter and the Constellation Orion.  Most originated east to southeast and ended moving west to northwest through the sky although a few was definitely not a part of that.  Of the 85 we spotted, one was green colored with a white tail and was to the northeast of my location.  It lasted about 5 seconds and flashed bright white at the end.  It left a trail that resembles airliner trails when they fly high and it hung in the air for a while.  2 others was red and flashed white when they ended.  The rest were quick little ones that lasted a brief second and came in pairs or trios.  We mainly concentrated on the eastern part of the sky this evening.

Location:  approx. 30 miles East of Ft. Myers Florida.
Time:  between 7:30pm EST and 1am EST Nov. 16/17

I hope Sunday Morning between 2am and sunrise is as clear as tonight was!

Clear Skies!

Mark