[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) LEONID REPORT 16-Nov-2001, Lewis Gramer GRALE

----

Your Full Name? Lewis Gramer
Your IMO Observer Code? GRALE

Observing Location (Feature/Town/State/Country)?
 Xinglong Observatory, Hebei, China
IMO Observing Location Code?

Email address where you can be reached? mameteors@yahoo.com

Date Observing Session Began? 16-Nov-2001 (UT)

SUMMARY of your Observing Session:
Begin(UT) End(UT) LM   F    Teff  LEO NTA STA AMO Spor Total
17:30     21:38   7.3  1.00 3.63  52  11  10  12  106  191

Average Magnitudes:
LEO  = 3.89
NTA  = 3.32
STA  = 3.30
AMO  = 4.25
Spor = 3.56

Optional FULL IMO/NAMN Observing Report:
Too tired and pressed for time to provide all
the periods for this night - although I began
to adopt the discipline of breaking my session
into regular 10 minute intervals, as practice
for the Big Night coming all too soon!

Note a breathtaking barrage of faint Leonids,
in addition to an unusual number of Sporadics
for my personal perception - I saw very many
meteors outside my usual average DCV of 25o,
although again as practice for the maximum, I
only recorded shower and magnitude last night.
Still, my notes contain several meteors seen
60 up to even 90 degrees from field center.

Highlight of the night aside from enjoying the
company of a growing group of Chinese observers
and that of my DMS colleagues, was a mini-burst
of 6 Leonids in only 3 minutes at 19:30UT. The
average mag of these 6 meteors was just 5.2...

Here is hoping that the magnificent clear sky
above the Yan Shan mountains continues for a
little while longer - and that watchers around
the world get to enjoy the 2001 Leonids under
clear skies as well!
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html