[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids brighter and quieter(?)

We had another wonderful, clear night here at Xinglong
Observatory, 3 to 3.5 hours' drive northeast of Beijing.

My LM hovered in the low 7s tonight. My own impressions
were of a much more traditional Leonid activity profile
than last night - fewer meteors overall, but many more
bright ones. (Best of the night was a -5 LEO low in the
West - must have been -8 or better over Beijing?) We all
saw many LEOs in the magnitude range 0-2, and many with
trains - the traditional "background" Leonids.

However, the consensus impression on activity did vary:
my two Dutch colleagues, Koen Miskotte and Arnold "The
Terminator" Tukkers, had an impression of both stronger
AND brighter Leonids tonight. By contrast, our Chinese
friends reported similar activity both nights! Our data
will be transcribed later today, and should give us all
(and the world) a better idea of activity: But whatever
we saw, there were no storms tonight to be sure. And of
course we anxiously await the reports from the Americas
in only another 12 hours or so!

Clear skies all,
Lew Gramer (GRALE)

=====