[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Peak seemed to be at 10:25-10:35Z

I think...I know that's when I just left my recorder on instead of using the
pause button....of course, I also couldn't feel my thumb to work the pause
button anymore :-)   I know one of the predictors had the peak 1/2 hour later
than everyone else but I'm too tired to go check now.  Peak also seemed to be
broader than most of the predictors indicated.

Had ground fog here in eastern Maryland that hurt the horizon but didn't affect
the zenith...LM fluctuated between 4.5 and 5 all night but much worse towards
the horizon..no cloud cover, I'm not sure how to deal with that in my report
(taking it all seriously this year, doing meteor magnitudes, etc, checked my LM
every 15 minutes, etc.)

But had multiples of 3 or 4 meteors at once around that time. Surprised there
weren't more fireballs..only saw one persistent train all night (observed from
2AM to 5:45AM with 10 minute breaks every hour) and the most impressive meteor
of all was the earthgrazer precisely at midnight I saw when I stepped outside
for 5 seconds to check on the sky.

Quickly checked some "public" bulletin boards of non-meteor enthusiasts and
people who had clear skies were THRILLED and very impressed, I think we dodged a
Kahoutek here :-)

Guess I'm sleeping for about the next 8 hours, then will listen to my tape.

John Krempasky

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: