[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Wow

Nov 18, 2001
1120 UT

The Leonids are still consistently streaking as I post this note at 1120
UT. I do not know if there was a peak minute between 0955 and 1009 UT...or
if there was a peak *after* these predicted times.  I am sure there will be
excellent data and measurement from numerous sources as skies were clear in
many locations.

It may be difficult to determine an exact peak by forward scatter radio
data as there have been multi-minute periods of station saturation. There
must be a lot of residual ionosation in the upper atmospheres. It will take
a while to process my own radio data, audio tapes and charts.

I don't know if the Leonid numbers around the 1000 UT hour will constitute
a storm but it has certainly become a thrilling  meteor shower.

Curiously, up here in the Sangre de Christo mountains where I am, at 1001
UT various coyote packs started howling in all directions, then owls
started hooting and all sorts of animals were making vigorous noise lasting
about five minutes. I never heard such a collective whooping like that
before. I don't know if it was caused by the meteor activity...but to me it
seems likely it was.

I look forward to reading other reports.

Clear skies to all for the next peak,

Tom Ashcraft
Lamy , New Mexico, USA
35.29 N  105.53 W