[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Florida Leonid peak 2001Nov17/18 about 20/min

Joan and I saw a fabulous show of Leonids from Florida.  Observing almost 4
hours, 2 until 6 AM, Joan counted a lump total of 775 meteors !  It was good
from the start and increased all the way to 530 AM when I was seeing about
20 Leonids/minute. Dawn began interfering at 545 and rates dropped off very
quickly.  A lot of fireballs earlier, fewer late.  Our best was an orange
-8m Leonid with train lasting for 5 minutes bending into a right angle.  I
tend to see about 1.5X more meteors than Joan, and this night definitely set
me a new record for number of meteors seen.  The peak came around 1030 UT --
I agree with the Maryland report.  Sky was excellent throughout with LM 7.3.
We had a brief cloud group go by early, then after 6 AM low clouds rushed
in.  Very fortunate for a change.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor