[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Wow

We had a fantastic view of the Leonids!  We were in
southeast NM, in a very dark area about 45 miles
north of Roswell.  We began watching around 8:00 UT.

We were soon counting ~10 per minute until 10:00 UT, when
the rate climbed quickly to 20 or more meteors/minute.

Funny you mentioned the coyotes, because right around
that time, the coyotes in our own area began to make
a lot of noise, and continued on and off for an hour or so.
It lent an eerie quality to the scene.

Unfortunately, clouds rolled in and covered about 75% of
the sky between 10:00 and 10:45 UT.  Nevertheless, we
continued to record rates of 20 per minute during that time,
so we suspect the actual rates may have been higher.
Meteors could be seen flashing behind the clouds, the
brighter ones illuminating them like lightning flashes.

After 10:45 UT, the skies cleared again, and the rates
remained high for some time.  As late as 12:10 UT, we
were still seeing meteors rates greater than 7 per minute.

-Eric Bucsela
Washington, DC
(observing from southeastern New Mexico)