[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) results

Hi gang!

We drove west from Dallas and set up south of Sweetwater off of I-20. We saw our first grazer at 12:06 cst and several more thereafter. Activity was biased towards the zero and neg magnitudes.  Activity was respectable - resembling the '98 shower on the 17th. Clouds rolled in about 2:30. We took a wild guess and headed back east. We found clear skies just west of Abilene for the main event. Meteors were rolling in, often clustered in groups of 3 to 7 or 8 in short bursts. Estimated rate adjusted to ZHR about 1500/hr. Like other observers we were seeing 10 to 20 per minute. Probably saw about 20-25 meteors in excess of the -4 to -6 range. And about a half dozen in the -7 to -10 range. One notable train lasted about a minute or so exhibiting atmospheric distortions. Most of the high negative magnitude meteors came in the late portion of the session. Clouds obscured our final emergency site at 5:30.
Tom