[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) admin fwd: leonids report

Another report did not make it to the list:
-------
from : Martin Galea De Giovanni <martingd@onvoldot net>

Dear all,

  Here's my personal report for the night of the maximum. The night started out
with scattered clouds which were getting less scattered and more worrying !
Thankfully by midnight it was mostly clear again and together with some other
members of the Astronomical Society I witnessed a spectacle of VERY bright
Leonids ! Maybe not as many as we were expecting - but this was made up by the
bright  long meteors what crossed the sky amongst  "oowwwww" 'woooooow' &
"eyyyyyyyyeees" from the amazed observers :)

The first two meteors that I observed were enough to make the night worth
while ... these 2 Leonids crossed the skies a few minutes after each other.
They were a -6 and a -8 ..he second one left a persistent path of more then 90
seconds !

I have divided the observations into one hour segments and calculated the
ZHR and the magnitude distribution for each segment (see Below)

Here's the more technical report :

2001 November 17/18
Martin Galea De Giovanni        (GALMR)

MeteorGroup (The Astronomical Society of Malta)

Location : Ahrax Tal Mellieha Malta Europe (Lat 36.00 N Long 14.22 E )

23:09 UT - 00:09UT

lm - 5.6

No. Leonids - 11
No. sporadics - 4

MAG             No.of Leonids

-8              1
-6              1
-5              0
-3              0
-2              0
-1              2
0               3
1               3
3               1

MAG             No.of sporadics

0               0
1               2
3               1
4               1

Calculated ZHR - 93

00:09 UT - 01:09UT

lm - 5.6

No. Leonids - 14
No. sporadics - 6

MAG             No.of Leonids

-5              1
-3              3
-2              3
-1              2
0               2
1               1
3               2

MAG             No.of sporadics

-10             1
0               1
2               1
3               1
4               2

Calculated ZHR - 70

01:09 UT - 02:09UT

lm - 5.6

No. Leonids - 23
No. sporadics - 9

MAG             No.of Leonids

-7              2
-6              2
-5              2
-4              4
-3              4
-2              2
-1              1
0               5
1               1
2               3
3               1
4               1
5               1

MAG             No.of sporadics

-4              1
0               1
1               2
3               1
4               3
5               1

Calculated ZHR - 84

02:09 UT - 03:15UT

lm - 5.6

No. Leonids - 29
No. sporadics - 6

MAG             No.of Leonids

-8              2
-7              2
-6              1
-5              2
-4              0
-3              6
-2              3
-1              3
0               4
1               2
2               1
3               2
4               1

MAG             No.of sporadics

0               1
1               2
2               0
3               1
4               2

Calculated ZHR - 74

Regards Martin

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chance for a survival
on earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."  - Albert Einstein

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html