[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fw: Confirm 20/minute Leonid count from N. Florida

Major oops!  Make that 7 miles WEST of St. Augustine, Florida.  Sorry bout that.  Sleep depravation strikes again!!   P.

----- Original Message -----
From: PAUL JONES
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2001 10:23 AM
To: meteorobs@atmob.org
Subject: Confirm 20/minute Leonid count from N. Florida

I was with a group from the Ancient City Astronomy Club observing from Tillman Ridge, about 7 miles east of St. Augustine, Florida this morning and strongly confirm Norman's account of the stunning Leonid spectacle.  Will take a while to process the data, but a few overall impressions:  rates were running about 2 to 3 per minute in spurts until around 0830 U. T., ramped up to 5 to 6 per minute in spurts around 0915 UT, then into "freak mode" after 0930 UT.  All resources to keep track of what we were seeing were needed!!!!  I got the impression of a little "bump" in rates up to 15/minute about 0950, then a bit of a lull until 1000 UT when the bottom dropped out of the sky!!!   The Ls held a steady rain of 20/25 per minute (perhaps even more in a couple of intervals) until dawn interfered!  Lots of fireballs, but not as many or as bright as in 1998.  We had perfect skies all night sitting on the edge of the haze, fog and clouds from the Atlantic.  The weather Gods were with us this time and I made up big time for my "wash out" in Sicily for the 1999 storm.  Who says there are no second chances??  Hoping everyone who tried was able to see at least a part of this unforgettable night!!!

Many regards to all, Paul Jones (for fellow members of the ACAC!!!!)