[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) (admin fwd) Skyburner -12!

From: Dave English <prospector@znet.com>
it

Bolids visited us here in Southern California, a mini '98, not as good but
impressive just the same. I strted out at 03:15 and observed to the last
meteor seen in blue skies, 06:15. No storm as predicted but several short
flurries of 5-8 meteors in two general times.

     I went out looking through clouds, I could only see Jupiter but I could
see a star now and then, so I hung in there until about 05:00 when I had
40% clear. It was during the cloudy time that the yard lit up.  I looked in
time to see the end of a bright bolide then the after-glow of the unseen
train/trail/smoke coming through the clouds and haze, then as the bright
'98 -16 to -19 meteor did, there was a following flash in the train or
trail. I gave this a -12 because of the light shown, and because it powered
through cloud cover to do so, maybe it was more. Joseph and his crew
maybe saw it clear to their NW, it was NE at about 60% to me.

     Lots of bolides so enjoy.

                                                 Dave English
                                           Oceanside, California
                                            (San Diego County)