[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) What a night! 1998+1999=2001 ...

It's now 6:45 a.m. on November 19th here at the Bohyunsan observatory in
South Korea where we - more than 20 meteor fans from various countries -
have spent the last 7 hours watching (under near-perfect conditions after
a fog scare that disappeared at the last minute)
  - amazing Earth-grazing meteors & fireballs when the Leo radiant rose,
  - meteor rates of at least 25 per minute for several minutes and
       at least 5 per minute for hours, and
  - many fireballs, some leaving wonderful persistant trains.
The wealth of data recorded last night will only be gone through after
some sleep, but there is little doubt that the 2nd peak was at least as
rich as the first one. And as even at dawn there were still a substantial
number of bright meteors in the sky, observers farther West should run
out and watch.

Oh, I just hear that the post-storm party is about to begin ... more
tomorrow!

Daniel Fischer
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html