[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids from Central Iowa

Pulled an all nighter last night. Saw an excellent display of Leonids from Central Iowa once the clouds started to part around 0900 UT. I listened on 98.7 FM while it was too cloudy to observe visually. There were several meteors leaving long trains lasting minutes in duration! Did not make any counts, but I know the counts would have been in the hundreds.
At approximately 10:35 UT, the tuned indicator on my FM receiver began flashing like a strobe light and when I ran outside I could see meteors streaking all over in patches of sky that were clear. A few of the bright ones could even be seen through the high cirrus clouds.
A very memorable experience!!!
I have never seen any real bright meteors (-10 to -13 mag) but maybe someday after enough observing I will!
Perhaps some of the long duration ones I heard on my FM receiver were fairly bright?

Looking forward to the Geminids!
Mark Mikutis
E-mail: raptor1@pcpartnerdot net