[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid observations

Somehow I managed to reply to an email from the list with my observations so I will send it again this time not in a reply :)

Hey all!!

What can be said besides awesome!

Here in Lehigh Acres Florida, LEO was not bashful to unleash an awesome show
early Nov 17/18.

The party I was with started the night at 2am EST in a remote part of Lehigh
Acres and were greeted by 100 Leonids over the next hour.  At 2:55 am EST a
huge Leonid Flashed through the sky right over our heads and lite up the
entire area, as far as we could see.  That one actually lasted for 7 seconds
in duration and the train was visible for 5 minutes after the meteor Flashed
out.

Starting with the 3am log, I noted 276 Leonids and from there I had to start
counting by the minute instead of hour just to keep up with them.

We also seen one that was so big when it came in, after streaking through
1/2 the sky it broke into 2 smaller meteors and continued on for another few
seconds before they flashed out.

When the fog rolled in at 5:45am EST I was counting upwards of 24 per minute
coming through with some awesome bursts of 6 or more happening at 1 time
leaving trails behind.  Even after the fog moved in you could see the sky
flashing and streaking but couldn't see the actual shower at that time.

I am soooo glad I did get out for this shower because it is something I have
never seen before and will never forget!!

2-3am EST:  100 Leonids

3-4am EST: 275 Leonids

4-5am EST   40 in 5 minutes
 50 in 5 minutes
 50 in 5 minutes
 50 in 4 minutes
 60 in 4 minutes
 60 in 3 minutes
 120 in 6 minutes
 100 in 5 minutes
 100 in 4 minutes (25 a minute)
 100 in 4 minutes
 100 in 4 minutes
 120 in 4 minutes.

5am - sunlight (Fog)
 120 in 3 minutes
 100 in 3 minutes
 100 in 3 minutes
 100 in 4 minutes
 100 in 4 minutes
 FOG at 5:45 am

around 5:30am EST they were raining down so fast I couldn't keep up with
them but I would put it at around 30-40 per minute.

The Skies held out for once and it paid off going out!!!

Clear Skies!

Mark