From: Margaret Thomas <mthomas@dcsidot net.au>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Subject: RE Leonid Display
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:37:14 +1100

Greetings all,

                  I am new to this site and would like to report what an =
awesome experiece the Leonid shower was!  I live in S.E. Australia in =
the regional area of South Gippsland. =20
   At 3.30A.M.DST I stuck my head out of the door and saw a brilliant =
starlit sky(unexpected as it has been foul weather for days),so off to =
see a meteor....Maybe!  I had no sooner left my house to drive to a =
higher elevation and a tiny spent meteor fizzled past my windscreen and =
landed in a neighbours yard!  This happened several more times on my =
drive......I just could not believe it , it was like kids were throwing =
fireworks in front of the car!! =20
       When I arrived at what I thought to be the optimum viewing site =
(an elevated area with a visible horizon facing N.E.) the sight was =
incredible,meteors were flashing overhead at the rate of approx. 2per 10 =
seconds at the peak of the shower around 4.05 A.M.  Some were small with =
orange tails, many were larger with blueish green tails!  Fireballs??  A =
few small ones appeared to land on the surrounding farmland.  Slowly the =
shower  diminished in intensity and about 5.00  the sky had become light =
and the meteors were hard to distinguish.=20
      What an amazing event!

                                      Regards  Marg.

------- End of Forwarded Message
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html