[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Central Virginia Challenges In Observing Max Night

>From Central Virginia it was quite a challenge to get some observations
in on Leonid Max Night, to say the least!  I was beginning to wonder what
was going on here, when for a span of twelve straight days or so we
barely saw a cloud in the sky.  Then about 0225 EST (0725 UT) a thick
layer of low level clouds (fog) blanketed my At Home Observing Site on
the outskirts of Madison Heights/Monroe VA.  By 0230, I raced inside our
home and let my wife Suzannah know that the situation had gotten critical
and I needed to find some clear skies quickly!  My only logical course of
action was to head up to the Blue Ridge Parkway (West of Elon) to get
above the clouds.  Sure enough, it worked and I enjoyed a wonderful show
of meteors between 0300 - 0500 EST.  I know that I topped my long
standing (since late 1970's) peak hour of 125 meteors/hour (Geminids).
Unfortunately, the clouds caught up with me at my impromptu site and I
was too tired and worn out to drive five more minutes North on the
Parkway (poor headwork here) for the additional hour that I could have
observed.  Plus, being on my own, I was very disappointed that I could
not share this experience with my wife and son as I had originally
planned.  What was I thinking?   The meteor shower was certainly going
"great guns" (about 1,000 meteors/hour) when I ceased observations (not
totally by choice) @ 1000 UT.  Did manage to see at least 8 fireballs and
numerous flashes of bright meteors that I never really had a good look
at, as "things were really jumping!" I need to go figure out how many
meteors I actually saw by taking a good look at my data.  Tomorrow I will
send in my first report of the numbers from the North American Leonid Max
Night, plus one more evening of observations.  Maybe a few nice Earth
Grazers and a few more fireballs?  This time I will try once again from
home and be able to include my wife and  "almost" five-year old son.
Although, they did indeed miss the really "Big Show!" For those of you
who continue the Leonid Hunt:  may you be blessed with many more great
meteors on the backside night of Leonid Max!!!
			In Astronomical Affinity - Felix A. Martinez