[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) (admin fwd:) RE Leonid Display

This message didnīt make it to the list - sender is not subscribed to
meteorobs:
From: "Margaret Thomas" <mthomas@dcsidot net.au>

Greetings all,

                   I am new to this site and would like to report what an
awesome experiece the Leonid shower was!  I live in S.E. Australia in
the regional area of South Gippsland. At 3.30A.M.DST I stuck my
head out of the door and saw a brilliant
starlit sky(unexpected as it has been foul weather for days),so off to
see a meteor....Maybe!  I had no sooner left my house to drive to a
higher elevation and a tiny spent meteor fizzled past my windscreen and
landed in a neighbours yard!  This happened several more times on my
drive......I just could not believe it , it was like kids were throwing
fireworks in front of the car!!
        When I arrived at what I thought to be the optimum viewing site
(an elevated area with a visible horizon facing N.E.) the sight was
incredible,meteors were flashing overhead at the rate of approx. 2per 10
seconds at the peak of the shower around 4.05 A.M.  Some were small with
orange tails, many were larger with blueish green tails!  Fireballs??  A
few small ones appeared to land on the surrounding farmland.  Slowly the
shower  diminished in intensity and about 5.00  the sky had become light
and the meteors were hard to distinguish.
       What an amazing event!

                                       Regards  Marg.

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html