[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Quick report from SobeakSan Observatory, Korea. Nov 18-19 night.

Hi all !

What can I say ?
I think we saw the one of the greatest Leonid show in history from here !
There is plenty of data and report we be hard to write, since we saw
litterally thousands of LEO. At the peak time, it was even possible to
observe maybe 200 or more LEO / min. I had to stop the magnitude estimation
; more, there was a time where I thought counting could be impossible too
and I prepare myself to try only estimation of the number per sec ...
I will do my best to send a report tomorrow.

Below is a short account from Michael Lachmann (California); please note
that he is not a meteorobs subscriber.

Christophe Marlot

Quick report on the leonid meteor shower from Korea.
We observed from the SoBaekSan observatory in Korea. The sky was totally
clear, and LM was around 6.0.
This was an amazing night. The estimates of the ZHR range from 10,000-15,000
for the most pessimistic to 30,000-50,000 for the most optimistic.
The peak was extremly broad, with maybe 3hours at which the rate was above
3000. The extreme peak lasted under an hour, centered arround the predicted
peak of 18UT.
There was another, later peak that had mainly fireballs, but lower rate.
When the sun came up, fireballs were still streaming the sky at a rate of
~200.
There were many fireballs of magnitude -4 or higher, but only 2 really
bright ones at maybe
-10 and -15/-17.
During the peak the sky was littered with dust trails, and there was a haze
above us that was maybe a result of the many meteors.
It was impossible to count the meteors during the peak since even counting
the ones in front of you is too high a rate for speech, and there are many
outside your field of vision. The counts were maybe up to 30-40 in 10 second
intervals, but there were probably 3-5 times as many meteors in the sky,
with the radiant at 40-50 degrees above the horizon.
>From our group, Christophe Marlot and Mark Mathay have recorded their counts
and will give a full report in a couple of days. We also had 6 cameras, and
a video camera. Other groups at the same site had probably 10 more cameras.
Pictures should come up on the web soon.

Téléchargez MSN Explorer gratuitement à l'adresse
http://explorer.msn.fr/intl.asp

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html