[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The time of the 2nd peak - and who 'won' ...

Still somewhat drowsy from the dramatic night, I've nonetheless managed
to transcribe my tape of visual observations (counts in 5-minute intervals
over 6 hours) and to plot the rates (not corrected for the radiant
elevation). The activity profile over Korea turns out to be more smooth
than I (and others here) had felt while the shower was still going on.

According to my counts there was a pretty sharp peak (with 25 meteors/min)
at 18:22 +/- 10 UTC, and the rate stayed above 'storm level' (1000/hr) for
roughly the full hour from 17:55 to 18:55 UTC. If a combined analysis by
observations from many others (plus of video data) should confirm my
peak timing, then it would agree with the predictions by both Lyytinen & al.
and McNaught & Asher (which were 18:20 and 18:13 UTC, respectively; in
1999 Asher & McNaught had predicted the peak for 18:19 UTC, by the way).

No other peaks are standing out in 'my' curve and the relevance of the
9-rev. trail (as an addition to the dominant 4-rev. trail) is not clear.
Regarding the max. ZHR, I'm still waiting for more detailled analysis.
The first peak seems to have reached or exceeded 2000, the 2nd one could
have reached 4000. As in 2000 none of the published models had the
ZHRs for all peaks right, it seems, but at the moment I would give
Lyytinen & al. a B, McNaught & Asher a C, Jennikens a D and Cooke & Brown ...
well, maybe in 2099 :-).

Daniel Fischer at the BOAO in S. Korea
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html