[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AMATUER OBSERVER - LEONID REPORT 17/18 Nov 2001,

The following is just the report of an amateur.  This was my first
attempt to gather the data in the proper format.  However, I have
followed the format to the best of my ability at the bottom of this
posting, after my informal report.

I observed from Goldendale, Washington USA which is situated on an inland
plateau.  I was back on a farm road away from the lights, flat land and
no trees.  I don't know how to measure the limiting magnitude yet.  The
milky way was faintly visible, but the Pleides were a bit hazy.   I could
make out 4 Pleides with a haze around them.  Orion stood out well, and
Taurus was easy to see, but not really bright.  Since it was about 20
degrees, I think it was a frost haze.

I observed from 1:00 - 2:36 am, when a fog rolled in from the river.  All
of a sudden Orion disappeared from view, just as activity seemed to be
peaking.  All together I saw 313 meteors, one of which exploded with a
red flash.  Not a lot compared to others, but good enough to thrill this
beginner.  Quite a few had trains that lasted for a minute or so, but I
am just guessing on that because I didn't time them.  My "glow in the
dark" watch stopped glowing!

My first 15 minute session (from 1:10 to 1:15)  I saw 36 meteors, or
2.4/minute.  By 2:30 the rate was 5.4/min. My last session was from 2:21
to 2:36, and I saw 76 meteors during that time.    There seemed to be a
lot that didn't come from Leo, and they also seemed to come in clusters.

Persistent trains!
Jan.
 Your Full Name?Janet Fries
 Your IMO Observer Code? NONE

 Observing Location: wheat fields on the plateau outside of town
 Goldendale, Wa 98620  USA
LATITUDE  45:49  LONGITUDE 120:49 W
Elevation:  1633

IMO Observing Location Code? NONE