[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) *Very preliminary* personal ZHRs from China (GRALE)

Jin asked us to do quick "thumbnail" calculations of our
effective ZHRs for the "Asian" storm on 18 Nov. A *VERY*
preliminary look at my own data shows TWO modes - one at
18:15, and another somewhat lower at 17:35... Therefore,
I calculated *3* values - a full hour ZHR including both
of these modes, and two shorter *eZHRs* for the "primary"
(second) mode, which seemed to me to be at around 18:15.
All calculations are based on the simplest formula I am
know of: [e]ZHR = (full hour HR) * r ^ (6.5-LM) / sin(Rh)

Radiant elevation was simplified to 30o throughout.

*NOTE*: All of these are based purely on my own data...
Also, as no one has had any time yet to derive realistic
'r' values for this storm, but considering it seemed to
be markedly brighter than expected, I used three differ-
ent values for 'r'. Enjoy - but please DO NOT republish
these anywhere outside our community as of yet!

r=2.3, Rh=30o, Cp=1
17:30-18:30  N=1177, ZHR = 1260
18:13-18:17  N=0161, eZHR = 2585
18:15-18:16  N=0078, eZHR = 5010

r=2.6, Rh=30o, Cp=1
17:30-18:30  N=1177, ZHR = 1150
18:13-18:17  N=0161, eZHR = 2360
18:15-18:16  N=0078, eZHR = 4570

r=3.0, Rh=30o, Cp=1
17:30-18:30  N=1177, ZHR = 1030
18:13-18:17  N=0161, eZHR = 2120
18:15-18:16  N=0078, eZHR = 4100

Pick the number that you like best! Something close
to the highest number above (5000+) will likely end
up used most by the press... But for my own personal
recollections (not that anyone else would care!), I
will always remember that the 2001 Leonids in China
peaked at about 1200 an hour, large-sample ZHR. :)

Clear skies,
Lew Gramer

=====
Lew Gramer, owner-meteorobs@atmob.org,