[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids count from amateur: not official

Hi everyone,

I flew from Sacramento, California to be in the Arizona desert near Mesa, AZ
to watch the Leonids. 6 of us called the count out loud and described the
locations of the meteor simply as "low on the left" or "behind on the right"
when we saw a meteor so we didn't count the same meteor twice. Between 12:50
AM to 5:30 AM we saw 1,207 meteors; this with about 50% to 60 loud cover
(sometimes somewhat higher).

I realize my count contains is maybe not be particularly advance the
science, but it does communicate how many times my heart went "yippee"!

Clear skies,

Doug Stanton from back in Live Oak, California

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html