[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Good view from north of Adelaide, South Australia.

Hi all,

November 19th, 2001 for me will be remembered as one of the greatest
experiences of my life. I had been awake since on the 18th with only a 2
hour break for sleep. At 1am I packed the car with all the essentials for a
good mornings viewing (eg, Still camera, video camera, COFFEE) My wife and
my 3 week old son packed aswell, we headed out of the Adelaide area to just
outside of a place called Dublin, about an hour North of Adelaide. We
arrived just as Leo was rising which was good because no sooner had I
stepped out of the car a nice meteor 0mag went directly overhead. Conditions
were not that good for observing high level cloud had moved in and was
blocking most of the duller meteors, and only the brighter members being
visible, until around 3:30am when it cleared and gave us an unobstructed
view of the sky, at around 4am all hell broke loose with meteors streaming
across the sky, some 3 or 4 together, all meteors observed were over 0 mag.
Some included trains that lasted for some time afterwards also some bright
flashes rates increased at 4:30am with litterally hundres falling in half an
hour was awesome. This was by far the best shower/storm I have seen since
1998, I managed to get off a roll of film (24exp) in less than 15 minutes
and over the period I got around 35 meteors on video, which I am still going
over to check them. To top it off as we drove back home and the sky was
getting brighter, we did see another meteor. To top that off my wife was up
at 1:45am this morning feeding our son when she went to close the back door
she saw a nice fireball. All up this will be written down as one of the
greatest views I will ever see in my life. Lets hope it's not the last!!.

regards

Andrew.

PS I am writting all times down from the video hopefully when/if I get a
video capture card I will get them off onto the web. I will have the
photographs up by Friday hopefully.

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html