[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) trajectories

The Leonids are starting to burn at an altitude of 80 miles and are totally consumed in less than a second (except for the grazers) so I dont think they break up after slowing down.
I am thinking about the situation where 4 meteors enter a part of the sky you can cover with your fist and all four burns occur within half a second.
A burn delay of .25 seconds reflects a separation of 10 miles.  Apparent angular separation of one degree between two meteors at a distance of 100 miles from the observer amount to less than 2 miles. So, while the clumping is visual the actual separation in space between 4 or 5 meteoric grains is measured in miles.  Nevertheless, the clumping is real but I lack the math or knowledge to explain this behavior.

Tom