[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid AVI files posted

See www.sundialarts.com

Capturing the Leonids

These meteor images are from the Leonid shower, captured on November 18,
2001. I used an image intensified video system running Sirko Molau's Metrec
software. The field of view is about 40 degrees and the view is looking
Northeast. Ursa Major is visible in the images. My wife, Liz Longsworth, and
I viewed the meteor shower and captured the images from Table Mountain near
Ellensburg, Washington USA. We captured about 5 hours of meteors (about 1000
meteors) on the computer and on videotape, starting at about 11:30 a.m.
local time. Early in the evening we saw a few spectacular earth grazers.
Peak activity for the shower was around 1:30 to 3:00 a.m. local time. A few
times we saw as many as 5 or 6 meteors simultaneously...an incredible
experience! Viewing conditions were quite good, but there seemed to be some
moisture in the air that gave the stars a slightly fuzzy image. It was very
cold...there was a few inches of snow on the ground...we went through many
cups of hot tea.

Tom Kreyche    tkreyche@well.com

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html