[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Looking For Guidance On Proposal (LEONIDS 2002)

By now I guess most of us are somewhat in the post-Leonid Max Recovery
Phase?
 I am considering making a special trip for the 2002 Leonids, especially
considering the discussions today and seeing how good the predictions
have been for three years running.

Numerous times I have observed good meteor showers (Perseids & Geminids)
with a bright moon (Quarter all the way up to and including Full Moon)
and was able to get fairly good counts on the meteors (even in less than
6.0 LM skies).  Even a mere 100f enhanced storm strength activity is
likely to produce between 1,000 to 3,000 meteors/hour in meteors seen.

The bottom line, I have a fantastic opportunity (only way a humble
educator with a wife & two young children could afford it)  to put
together a proposal by next Tuesday and get between $2,000.00 to
$5,000.00 in funding from a special Foundation in the County (basically
an educator's dream adventure & trip qualifies) where I teach school at
here in Central Virginia.  To be honest, I feel that a trip out west
would be in order to get the most hours observed around the predicted
maximum activity (rev-4).  Plus, I would definitely like to be with the
likes of Bob Lunsford (it has been a long time since we observed
together) and whomever else he plans on observing with next year.   Could
we possibly even make it a gathering of many of the "regulars" on
METEOROBs?  That would be most interesting and definitely worth looking
forward to for the next time the Leonids produce Storm Level Activity.  I
just would like some ideas sooner than later, as I know that most folks
in this forum would truly have some good ones.  I have begun writing my
proposal and would like to complete it by next Monday.  Thank you for
taking the time to help out this meteor-observing colleague!
		In Astronomical Affinity - Felix A. Martinez
			(Code Name - Fireball FAM)