[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) 2002 really isn't that unfavorable moon-wise....

Joh, there are two other considerations that might make the 2002 Leonids
worthwhile. First, there's the fact that moonlight has pretty much the same
color distribution as sunlight. Thus, the moonlit sky will be blue just like
the daytime sky, only much fainter. Ergo, if we can just find a good color
filter, it might be possible to see some of the shower. Second, most image
intensifier tubes are much stronger in the red.

A cute anecdote really indicates the possibilities. For my system, I had
suspended a gridwork of wires with faint red LEDs about seven feet overhead.
These LEDs were directional, pointing at the observer, and so were quite
invisible to others. Late in the morning, after I had terminated formal
observing, one of the chaps showed me his image intensifier system. I
pointed it at Leo, and to my surprise saw four bright spots in a neat line.
They were the LEDs, but I couldn't recognize that, because they were
invisible to the naked eye. But through the image intensifier tube, they
were just as bright as Regulus. To add to my consternation, other observers
couldn't verify my observation because they were positioned such that the
LEDs were nowhere near Leo. Just one more trick that Fate played on me that
night.

Chris