[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) 2001 Leonid maximum

Dear Everyone,

It has taken me a few days to recover here, not necessarily from the
onslaught of Leonid meteors, but from the determination to see
meteors despite mostly cloudy skies. Five members of my group deserve
some sort of award for persistence as we spent about 6 hours watching
Leonids at times when the LM was certainly worse than -2 because not
even Jupiter was visible. Nevertheless, I personally saw 39 Leonids
and one sporadic. At least I think I saw 39 Leonids, as there were
five instances when the sky lit up, but the actual meteors which
caused these flares were not seen. I am assuming these five flashes
were caused by Leonids.

[Joe Rao, if you are reading this, please do not read this next paragraph]

This whole incident has seriously destroyed my confidence in
meteorologists. We were prepared to drive if the forecast was cloudy,
but three hours before we began observing, both our local
meteorologists and the weather channel were still saying we were
going to have partly cloudy skies. I even e-mailed a gentleman at the
St. Louis weather bureau at that time and was told we would have no
more than 50 percent cloud cover for the whole morning, with the
thickest clouds toward our western horizon. We knew that if we drove
we would loose several members of our group, so we were going to
settle for partly cloudy conditions. When the skies totally clouded
over at 7:00 UT, I ran inside to check the latest infrared satellite
sequence. What they revealed was a large eastward extending "bump" in
the cloud mass that was primarily moving from Texas and Oklahoma
toward the North-northeast. This bump came right over us and kept us
pretty well socked in. At that point, driving was no longer an
option, because it would have taken us too much time to reach skies
better than our own.

[Okay, Joe, you can read from here on]

What I will say is that, although we missed out on the really big
show, we still had a lot of fun. We knew the meteors we were seeing
were truly spectacular for us to be able to see them.

So my report is below. The times of each "event" are given. An
estimation of Teff is probably useless, because I have no idea how
thick the clouds were above us.