[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids: USA "vs" the Eastern Hemisphere

note:  this message from Skywayinc@aol.com didnīt come through, due to
mime-encoded attachement included. In human terms it was a pretty ZHR
graph. Currently this is not allowed on meteorobs, so the messages had to
be forwarded by the list admins:
------------------------------------

In a message dated 11/23/01 11:39:59 AM Eastern Standard Time, meteors@aon.at
writes:  [admin note: the origin is from Jure A. <excel@sioldot net>]

 ><< I feel IMO will need to
 >correct the figure for the american peak from 1000 to roughly 2500. 1000
 > just seems a very low figure for what we saw from Mt. Lemmon. >>
 >
 >    I would agree with Jure.  I wasn't on Mt. Lemmon, but 70 miles to the
 >south and east, just outside of Benson, Arizona.  It seemed to me that at
 >around 11h UT (4:00 a.m. MST) we were seeing Leonids coming at the rate of
 >one every 1 to 2 seconds (highly subjective since I wasn't making any
 >specific counts -- I was chiefly involved in photography -- but it certainly
 >seemed to me that a rate of 1000/hr. would be too low for what we were
 >witnessing).

 >    I'm also forwarding along an E-mail message from Dr. Glenn Schneider of
 >the University of Arizona.  Glenn was on Mt. Lemmon for the peak.  Within
his
 >E-mail he provides a graph of Leonid activity comparing data compiled at Mt.
 >Lemmon to Alice Springs.  I don't know if the graph (imbedded within the
 >message) will come through on the meteorobs list, but from what the graph
 >shows, Arizona beat Australia with a ZHR of ~2700 to 2000.
 >
 >- joe rao

Well, looks like it may be a tie.  It appears we had a higher peak
rate, but over a shorter interval...

[admin note: Image was included here, showing a higher peak at MT Lemmon
vs. Alice Springs, ]

Keep in mind the ZHR is integrated over an hour long window, so
the "instantaneous" rate at/near a peak which is much sharper (narrower)
than an hour can (and is ) much higher.  For storms like this we really
need ZMR (zenithal minutely rate!).  Clearly on Mt. Lemmon each observer
covering only part of the sky was seeing on the order of a couple a second
at the
peak.

Looks like we all had a good show all around, but haven't yet heard
from Craig.  Criag? Are you back?

Steve: FYI - The above chart is from the counts reduced by all
those guys clicking away and shouting "druga, druga...", etc.
during the morning.

-GS-

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html