[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Radio Leonids - ELF/VLF

During the Leonid peak night I listened for short periods at ELF (
extremely low frequency ) at about 10 kHz using a McGreevy WR3-E radio. I
was hoping to be able to correlate a visual fireball with some noticeable
radio sound. Whereas there were abundant fireballs, including some early
long earth grazers directly overhead, I could not tell if there was any
specific sound generated by any one specific fireball......but.....

Interestingly enough, I did hear a certain sort of sound over the course of
listening that I had never noted before at ELF. In the midst of normal
background "tweeks" there seemed to be many harder, sharper "cracking
sounds". At the time I likened the sound to  "brittle plastic breaking
apart."   ( Like a brittle pocket hair comb cracking in half maybe.) Some
of these sharp "cracking sounds" were nearly ear splitting.

Also, I was contacted by an observing colleague who constantly chart
records VLF radio (24 kHz vicinity) and he reports sharp spikes on his
chart during the Leonid peak. He has never seen sharp spikes before in his
data like that.

Is anyone aware of other ELF/VLF data, or observers, or places to go for
further info?

Tom Ashcraft
35.29 N  105.53 W
Lamy, New Mexico, USA