[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Strange Leonid...

Hi,

The next is my possible explanation to this:

The exposure was been started just while the meteor was visible, at the
point where the marking gets white (moving to the left). There was a small
movement of the camera quite soon after the start. The white curved pattern
or trail was captured on the film in this way. The two greenish parts at the
start are from the afterglow of "train" or "wake" left by the meteor, the
upper one at the very start of the exposure, when also the train was
brighter (and got exposed for a shorter time) and the apparent lower trail
(the trail still visible) was captured after the camera movement.

I am not sure, but by making the image brighter and increasing the contrast,
some of the brighter stars, especially at upper left may show a weaker
"double image" (above), consistent with this thought.

Esko