[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Strange Leonid...

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Crawford" <chriscrawford@wavedot net>

> I just found out something very curious about those photos. They are
> obviously photos of aurorae, and the mix of meteors and aurorae is very
> impressive. The problem is, the geomagnetic data for November 18th doesn't
> indicate much in the way of auroral activity.

<snip>

> There was a site, Tiksi Bay, that shows K-values of 6. If our photographer
> was in northern Siberia, then these photos are credible.

According to his website, he's in Harstad, Norway, which is up around 68 deg.
N.  And according to the USAF DMSP-observed Auroral Oval Plot for Nov. 18,
available at:

http://www.sel.noaadot gov/ftpmenu/forecasts/oval.html

the southern edge of the auroral oval was down over northern Norway that
night.  I think it's better to look for an explanation of the image in
question before questioning the veracity of the observer.  Have you e-mailed
him to ask what he saw (if he saw it with the naked eye)?

Mr. Andreassen's web site: http://wwwdot nettfoto.no/engelsk/index.htm has some
really beautiful images (he's a professional photographer), and is well worth
browsing through.

Aloha,

Jim Bedient
Honolulu, HI - 21 deg north (no aurora here, but I watered the grass and
picked avocados today :^))

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: