[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Strange Leonid...

Hi,

I am situated in southern Finland (Geographic Longitude = 24E; Geographic
Latitude = 61N; Corrected Magnetic Latitude = 57) and saw a faint aurora
during that night. So, in my mind there is no question about it that was
aurora visible from northern Norway..dot it certainly must have been.

Tom Eklund

> > There was a site, Tiksi Bay, that shows K-values of 6. If our photographer
> > was in northern Siberia, then these photos are credible.
>
>According to his website, he's in Harstad, Norway, which is up around 68 deg.
>N.  And according to the USAF DMSP-observed Auroral Oval Plot for Nov. 18,
>available at:
>
>http://www.sel.noaadot gov/ftpmenu/forecasts/oval.html
>
>the southern edge of the auroral oval was down over northern Norway that
>night.  I think it's better to look for an explanation of the image in
>question before questioning the veracity of the observer.  Have you e-mailed
>him to ask what he saw (if he saw it with the naked eye)?

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: