[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid report - narrative - Nov 17/18, Mt. Lemmon, AZ (ATAJU)

Its certainly possible to see an earthgrazer if the radiant is a bit below the horizon, because the radiant has a finite size, it is not a point. Depends on how far below the horizon the center of the radiant area was. The Leonids are reported to have about a 5° diameter radiant, so if the center radiant "point" was within 2.5° below the horizon, it may be possible to catch a rare one coming from that extreme upper part of the radiant area that has already risen.

At 0535UT, the reported ZHR was around 100, which may be high enough to statistically allow catching such a rarity.

Mike Linnolt

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html