[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Jure A.'s fireballs

----- Original Message -----
From: Wesley Stone <wes_stone@altavista.com>
Subject: (meteorobs) Re: Jure A.'s fireballs

> I find a really interesting discrepancy in the proportion of fireballs.
>From my vantage point in Southern Oregon, there were essentially NONE around
the peak time! I was still trying to estimate every magnitude, so maybe I
was screwing up a bit and calling a -3 a -1. I just finished my magnitude
distributions and found appreciable "boundaries" at some magnitudes,
indicating that I was having a little bit of trouble (who wasn't?). Even
then, there certainly weren't long periods of a fireball a minute.
Magnitude distributions might be a good place to search for fine   structure
when all the reports get in.

    Wesley, if you want to see the fireball distribution for a single site
with the human factor removed go to:
http://astrowww.phys.uvicdot ca/~balam/emo.html  The data of course, only
applies to the locations mentioned.  These detections were made with Sandia
All-sky cameras.  All fireballs of -3.0 magnitude and brighter should be
recorded.  The magnitude distribution was not arrived at by instrumental
methods but estimated by viewing the tracks on the video tapes.

Ed Majden EMO Sandia Bolide Detection Station - Courtenay, B.C. CANADA

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html