[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) grazers

I too witnessed a horizon to horizon grazer and about a half dozen others with lengthy burns for a half hour beginning at 12:00AM CST (6hrs UT). It has occurred to me that a meteor traversing the Earth's 'gravity well' may have its path distorted into a slight curve. This would expand the window of opportunity for near tangential burns that would start before the radiant clears the horizon.
Another thought about the geometry of this event... A tangential meteor passing overhead is about 80 miles straight up. From that vantage point, the radiant has surely cleared its horizon.

Incidentally, one of the grazers we witnessed underwent a skip - the burn path ran about 70 degrees then faded for about 15 to 20 degrees and then burned another 20 degrees.

Tom