[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) a few beginner questions...

> #1)  When is it likely that predictions for 2002 will be finalized?

I don't know.

> #2)  Is it possible that the moon will only be a problem for
> part of the observation period?  (Is it possible to move to
> different parts of the world to avoid the moon?) (Is it
> possible that updated predictions might lesson the moon problem?)

The problem is that a full moon will be there basicly all night, because it
is opposite the sun. The reason the moon is setting is the rotation of the
earth, the same thing that causes day and night and the same thing that has
given us timezones. Therefore the moon will rise and set at about the same
LOCAL time everywhere. The times will differ a little depending on your
longitude and wether you are in the east of your timezone or in the west.

It is important that the radiant is as high in the sky as possible, this
happens after midnight. So, you wil be looking for a place where the moon
has set at the time of the peak. But since it is full moon, you'll find the
twilight has already started in such a place.

As far as I know there are two peaks predicted, one at 0400 UT and one at
1030 UT. During the first peak in Western Europe, the moon will be (only) 15
degrees above the horizon in the west. During the second peak the moon will
almost set at the US eastcoast, but twilight is also beginning. By moving
west you should be able to find a balance between moon and twilight. Keep in
mind that this year's peaks came a bit later than predicted :)

> #3)  Anyone know where to find what time the moon rises and
> sets next year?

I prefer using SkyMap Pro (www.skymap.com) but most other planetarium
packages will be able to calculate this. I'm currently working on a program
which will be able to do this as well.

> #4)  And finally, from reading, I suspect that 2002 will not
> be that good for data recording... but is it possible that it
> will be better (than 2001) for beginners just hoping to see a
> great display?)

Mmm, I think that is too pesimistic. If you are able to find the right
balance between moon and twilight I think the conditions will be okay for
data recording. DMS members reported an LM 6.0 sky from Potugal in 2000,
while the moon was 55% lit and 75 degrees above the horizon in the south.

Daniel