[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) a few beginner questions...

> #1)  When is it likely that predictions for 2002 will be finalized?
Not before the analysis of this year's data is finished. And the analysis is
only beginning. Dr. Jenniskens published his predictions for 2001 in early
September, while Asher&McNaught changed their predictions only three weeks
before the peak! I'm afraid we'll just have to sit and wait.

> #2)  Is it possible that the moon will only be a problem for part of the
> observation period?  (Is it possible to move to different parts of the
> world to avoid the moon?) (Is it possible that updated predictions might
> lesson the moon problem?)
The moon will be above the horizon most of the night for all locations in the
world.  You can move far north to minimize the Moon's altitude (plus it would
set earlier) but I don't think that would be practical.
New predictions lessen the Moon problem? Unless they shift the peaks for
several days BACK I don't see how this could happen. Again, for practical
purposes the answer is no.

> #3)  Anyone know where to find what time the moon rises and sets next
> year?
You could download SkyMap demo at www.skymap.com. Input your location (or any
other location for that matter), set the date and find the time. Easier done
than said ,)

> #4)  And finally, from reading, I suspect that 2002 will not be that
> good for data recording... but is it possible that it will be better
> (than 2001) for beginners just hoping to see a great display?)
If you take into account all factors that influence the rates seen (listed in a
current predictions that the next year's show (especially over North America)
might be comparable to this year's show, perhaps somewhat weaker due to the
moonlight. If you saw 2001 it may well have been the best display of your life.

The best thing to do is to sit back and wait for updated predictions.
Meanwhile, there are still the Geminids, Ursids and the Quadrantids.

Clear skies!

Jure A.

http://www.emaildot si
http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html