[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Meteor Activity Outlook for November 29-December 6, 2001

Derek and All,

Unless you live in the tropics or the Southern Hemisphere I would not
count on seeing any Phoenicids. The declination of -54 indicates a far
southern location. The radiant will not rise above the horizon for
locations north of 36 degrees north latitude. It needs to rise high into
the sky to see any decent counts. This would be a good year to view the
Phoenicids as the moon will not rise until late in the night on December
5, the date of maximum activity. Hourly rates are usually low for this
shower but one never knows when another outburst such as the one that
occurred in 1956 may repeat.

Clear Skies!

Robert Lunsford