[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonid report - narrative - Nov 17/18, Mt. Lemmon, AZ (ATAJU)

At 15:57 29/11/01, you wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Nov 2001, Larry Wood wrote:
>
> The
>several Earth-grazers I saw around Leonid rise certainly looked to have a
>slower angular velocity, presumably due to being at much greater heights
>and thus much greater distances than average Leonids seen later in the night.

>Wouldnt they also possibly be appreciably slowed down by air drag?

>Although a radiant may be given as 5 degrees, this may just be to accommodate
>observational errors.  Predictions for dust trails indicate a radiant size
>of only a few arcmins at most for specific dust trails, although other dust
>trails and background Leonids will certainly make the overall radiant larger.
>Preliminary results from a radiant experiment at Siding Spring indicate a
>radiant only around 3 arcmins across at ~17:30 UT on Nov 18 based on 10
>Leonids.
that implies one might be able to distinguish dust trails when 2 are present
at the same time, like 17:50 UT Nov 18. Would the orbital element differences
be detectable with separated video cameras?

Tony beresford

http://www.meteorobs.org/storms.html

Follow-Ups: References: