[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteorite Tests

November 29, 2001

Greetings Derek!

Interesting rock.  However, there are indeed more
tests that you can do on your own to better conclude
if you have found a real space rock.

1. Check to see how thick your suspected "fusion
crust" is and what color.  Most fusion crusts are only
a few millimeters deep.  The color, on the other hand
can vary a bit.  A great deal of them are glossy black
when freshly fallen.  Some may appear rusty brown and
even crumbling apart---which is associated with a
specimen that has been weathered over time.
Interestingly, in some very rare instances, they may
even appear a tan brown, or even a cream color.
Nevertheless, keep in mind that many meteorites will
appear lighter colored when their interiors are
exposed than the darker outer surfaces.

2.  Check to see if you spy any free iron-nickel
inside your suspicious rock, which may composed nearly
the whole inside of the rock in question, or appear
only as shiny grains or flakes.  Now, what I am
referring to is a real metal alloy which looks like
steel, and not an iron mineral.  This test is very
important since iron-nickel metal is very rarely found
on earth, but is quite abundant in many types of
meteorites.  There are exceptions, naturally.

In all cases, a small piece of the suspected meteorite
must be separated in order to properly conduct these
tests.  Of course, breaking off a piece will not harm
such a possible collectible, but only help it to be
worth more if genuine.

Feel free to ask any questions.

My e-mail is unclefireballmtf@yahoo.com.

Long strewn fields!